Town of Moreau

Certificate of Residency

In order to have Saratoga County participate in the cost of his or her community college education, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college.  Military personnel on active duty are entitled to the lower "Resident" rate directly from the college; they do not need a Certificate of Residency.

You must apply for your certificate no later than the start of classes and no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes.  Certificates remain valid for semesters that begin within one year from the date of issue.

You may apply directly through Saratoga County to avoid appearance in person at the Clerk's office: Applications mailed to the County need to be completely filled out and the student’s signature MUST BE NOTARIZED.  U.S. Post Offices, UPS Stores, and most banks usually have a notary public on staff. Calling them ahead of time to make sure a notary public is available is a good idea.

The completed, signed, and notarized affidavit/application and photocopies or printed pictures of the required proofs of address are to be mailed to

Saratoga County Treasurer
c/o Cert. of Res. Processing
40 McMaster Street, Building 1
Ballston Spa, NY 12020


Residency Requirements:

To be eligible for a Certificate of Residency you must be

    a)    a continuous resident of New York State for one year immediately preceding your date of application, and

    b)    a resident of Saratoga County for at least one month within the six months immediately preceding the date of your application.

 If you have not been a resident of Saratoga County for that entire six month period, you will have to obtain a Certificate from each county in which you have resided in the past six months.

Elements of Acceptable Proof:

1.    Each document must be dated and include your name and street address.  Documents with a post office box will not suffice.

2.    At a minimum, two proofs are required:  one between 12-18 months old and one less than a month old.

3.    Each residence on your application must be documented.

4.    Non-citizens are required to document their resident status.

5.    No claim of residency will be accepted solely on your testimony or that of your parents, relatives, friends or other individuals.

6.    The standard of proof will not be compromised because you have left yourself insufficient time to obtain acceptable proof.

Examples of Acceptable Proof:

  • • Driver's license, car registration, insurance card

  • • Transcripts or report cards

  • • Bank statements, utility bills

  • • Medical records, prescriptions

  • • Formal lease or letter (on letterhead) from your landlord indicating dates of tenancy

  • • Dated mail or postmarked envelopes

  • • Income tax return with preprinted label

If you were born outside the United States:

  • • Naturalization papers

  • • Birth certificate indicating U.S. citizenship of parents

  • • Immigration papers indicating permanent resident status

  • . You will need to obtain your certificate through Saratoga County Treasurer's Office

  • Certificate of Residency Application